The Building Department was created to administer and enforce building, heating, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical, plumbing, sanitation, sign codes, and standards, to provide minimum standards for the protection of life, limb, health, environment, public safety, and welfare, and for the conservation of energy in the design and construction of buildings and structures.
What We Do
- Issue Contractor's Licenses and Registrations
- Issue Building Permits
- Inspections (PDF)
- Issue Certificate of Occupancy
- Minimum Housing Inspections
- Sponsor / ICC Tests
- Sponsor / ICC Contractor Test
- Sponsor / ICC Electrical Test Master and Journeyman
- Sponsor / ICC HVAC Test Supervisor and Journeyman
- Sponsor / ICC Non Sanitary Piping Supervisor and Journeyman
Current Codes Used in Allen County
- General Administrative Rules: (675-IAC-12 GAR)
- Indiana Building Code: (675-IAC-13 IBC) Based on: 2012 International Building Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014.
- Indiana Residential Code: (675-IAC-14-4.4) Based on: 2018 International Residential Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 26, 2019
- Industrialized Building Systems: (675-IAC-15 ISB) Effective May 15, 2003
- Indiana Plumbing Code: (675-IAC-16 IPC) Based on: 2006 International Plumbing Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 24, 2012
- Indiana Electrical Code: (675-IAC-17 IEC) Based on: 2008 National Electrical Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective August 26, 2009
- Indiana Mechanical Code: (675-IAC-18 IMC) Based on: 2012 International Mechanical Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014
- Indiana Energy Conservation Code 2010 (ASHRAE 90.1 2007 edition, as amended)
- Indiana Swimming Pool Code: (75-IAC-20 ISPC) Based on: 1989 Indiana Swimming Pool Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective April 24, 2011
- Indiana Safety Code for Elevators, Escalators, Man lifts and Hoists: (675-IAC-21 SCEEMH) Based on: ASME A18.1, 2005, Effective April 13, 2011
- Indiana Fire Prevention Code: (75-IAC-22 IFC) Based on: 2012 International Fire Code, (1st printing) with 2008 Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014
- Indiana Supplementary Fire Safety Rules: (675-IAC-24 SFSR) Effective May 17, 2003
- Indiana Fuel Gas Code: (675-IAC-25 IFGC) Based on: 2012 International Fuel Gas Code (1st printing), with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014
Code Books may now be purchased online. Select the product store.
New Rules and Regulations coming soon, please call the office for an updated copy.
Fee Schedule Changes
The Board of Directors for the Allen County Building Department has amended the fee schedule for permits. The new fee schedule will take effect January 1, 2016. Review the new fee schedule (PDF).
We now accept credit card payments for over-the-counter purchases.