Contractor Licensing

All Contractors and Sub-Contractors must be licensed in Allen County. To obtain a license in Allen County you must either reciprocate a license from another jurisdiction or be sponsored by Allen County to take an exam at one of our approved testing facilities.


In order to have your current active contractor's license reciprocated in Allen County, Indiana from another state/jurisdiction, the contractor's license that is currently held must have been acquired through a NATIONAL exam through ICC or Prometric(not NASCLA, PSI, ProV, etc.). Please email Tina Gebert to confirm reciprocity.


  1. Review chapter 1 of the Allen County Indiana Building Department Rules and Regulations (PDF) to determine the type of license you wish to pursue.
  2. Complete the correct Exam Sponsorship application.
  3. All applications require a $25 Sponsorship Fee. This fee is only payable by check or money order. 
  4. Mail the application and sponsorship fee to:
    Allen County Building Department Licensing
    200 E Berry Street Suite Number 180
    Fort Wayne, IN 46802
  5. Once the application and sponsorship fee has been received you will be contacted by our Licensing Specialist via mail regarding scheduling the exam indicated on the application. If there any questions or concerns regarding your application you will be contacted via email.

All exams are open book with a 4-hour time limit. All testing fees are determined by the third-party testing facility. 

Reference Books Currently Permitted Into the Testing Facility

Reference Books