Permits & Planning
The Allen County Indiana Building Department deals directly with the Licensed and Registered Contractor that has been awarded a project. We do not discuss projects with any third-party entities. Please click the links below for information that can assist your clients with the questions they may have. All other questions should be directed to the Contractor Awarded the project.
- What is the permit process for a new commercial building and remodel of existing commercial building?
- How many sets of plans are required?
- Is my project in the Allen County jurisdiction?
- What current Codes are being enforced?
Current Codes Used in Allen County
- General Administrative Rules: (675-IAC-12 GAR)
- Indiana Building Code: (675-IAC-13 IBC) Based on: 2012 International Building Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014.
- Indiana Residential Code: (675-IAC-14-4.4) Based on: 2018 International Residential Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 26, 2019
- Industrialized Building Systems: (675-IAC-15 ISB) Effective May 15, 2003
- Indiana Plumbing Code: (675-IAC-16 IPC) Based on: 2006 International Plumbing Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 24, 2012
- Indiana Electrical Code: (675-IAC-17 IEC) Based on: 2008 National Electrical Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective August 26, 2009
- Indiana Mechanical Code: (675-IAC-18 IMC) Based on: 2012 International Mechanical Code (1st printing) with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014
- Indiana Energy Conservation Code 2010 (ASHRAE 90.1 2007 edition, as amended)
- Indiana Swimming Pool Code: (75-IAC-20 ISPC) Based on: 1989 Indiana Swimming Pool Code with Indiana Amendments, Effective April 24, 2011
- Indiana Safety Code for Elevators, Escalators, Man lifts and Hoists: (675-IAC-21 SCEEMH) Based on: ASME A18.1, 2005, Effective April 13, 2011
- Indiana Fire Prevention Code: (75-IAC-22 IFC) Based on: 2012 International Fire Code, (1st printing) with 2008 Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014
- Indiana Supplementary Fire Safety Rules: (675-IAC-24 SFSR) Effective May 17, 2003
- Indiana Fuel Gas Code: (675-IAC-25 IFGC) Based on: 2012 International Fuel Gas Code (1st printing), with Indiana Amendments, Effective December 1, 2014
- Does Allen County require a plan review?
Allen County does not perform Plan Review. All plan reviews are done at the state level. Each project is assigned a construction design release number. This number must be provided by the Licensed and Registered Contractor at the time of permit submission.
- Do you offer an expedited permit process?
Allen County Building Department does not offer permit expediting.
We are proud to say that our permitting process flows and routes through all departments as quickly as possible. All permits submitted by Licensed and Registered Contractors online are processed in the order they are received. All permits submitted at the front counter are processed in the order of arrival.
- What are the permit fees?