Local Income Taxes
Allen County currently has a Local income tax rate of 1.48%. Under Indiana Law, the Local Income Tax Council(Council) has the power to impose, increase or decrease the county income tax in Allen County. The Local Income Tax Council membership consists of the fiscal body of the County and each municipality within the County, with votes being determined based on population. Therefore, with approximately 70% of the population, the City of Fort Wayne has the majority vote for the Council. Current vote allocation: Allen County Income Tax Council vote certification - December 12, 2022 (PDF)
The local income tax withholding and remittance process is completed through the Indiana Department of Revenue (DOR). The following are some DOR links related to the local income taxes:
- Indiana Department of Revenue Departmental Notice Number 1:DOR Notice 1 (PDF)
- Credit for Taxes Paid to Other States and Localities: Visit the Indiana Department of Revenue - Tax Credits page.
- Individual Income Tax Forms: Visit the Indiana Department of Revenue - 2015 Individual Income Tax Forms page.
As of October 1, 2017, 1.48% is comprised as such:
- .4821 for Local Income Tax Certified Shares (LIT) IC 6-3.6 (PDF)
- .53 for LIT Economic Development IC 6-3.6 (PDF)
- .10 for LIT Public Safety IC 6-3.6 (PDF)
- .3679 for LIT Property Tax Relief IC 6-3.6 (PDF)
For more information regarding county income tax distributions, please visit the Tax Unit Distribution Information page.
If you have further questions regarding the assessment and distribution of local income taxes, please contact the Allen County Auditor's Office at 260-449-7241 or email the Auditor's Office. The Allen County Auditor's office does not assist in the preparation of individual income tax returns.