If you own a home or are buying on a recorded contract, and use it as your primary place of residence, your home and up to one acre of land could qualify for a Homestead deduction.
General Instructions for All Deductions
Deduction applications must be completed and dated by December 31 of the year before the first year the taxpayer wishes to claim the deduction and must be filed in Auditor's office or postmarked on or before January 5th of the year the taxpayer wishes to obtain the deduction.
The Auditor's office encourages you to complete the application online, but you may also complete it in person. The Auditor's Office is located in the Rousseau Centre, 1 E Main Street, Suite 102. The office is open from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. You can reach a customer service representative by calling 260-449-7241 or by emailing the Auditor's Office.
How to Submit the Application Online
In order to submit the application online you must have the following:
- A personal email address.
- The last five digits of your Social Security number, or the last five digits of your Driver's License number if you do not have a Social Security number.
- The last five digits of your Spouse's Social Security number, or the last five digits of your Spouse's Driver's License number if they do not have a Social Security number.
- If your property is titled in the name of a trust you will need to mail/email a copy of the trust documents to the Allen County Auditor's Office.
- If you or your spouse does not have a Driver's License or State Identification Card, please contact our office at 260-449-7241 for instructions on how to complete the form.
- If you are completing the Homestead deduction application for a Mobile Home, per IC 6-1.1-12-37(q), you must submit a copy of the owner's title to Auditor's office in order to receive the deduction. We cannot process the Homestead deduction application until we receive the title. The title may be submitted in person, by mail at 1 E Main Street Suite 102, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802, by emailing the Auditor's Office, or by fax at 260-449-7679.
If you meet these requirements, you can access the application as follows:
- Follow the link below to access the application.
- Complete the form by typing directly into the application. Use the tab button to move to the next field and press the mouse button or space bar to select a checkbox field.
- Double-check the information that you typed to make sure it's correct. Ensure you have entered your personal email address. Read through the signature statement and acknowledge your acceptance of it by typing your name.
- Press the Submit button to send your deduction form. The following message will appear on the screen if your application has been successfully submitted, "Your form has been successfully submitted. Thank you!"
- You will be sent a confirmation email when your application is received in Auditor's office. Please allow one to two days for this process.