I want to divide my property. What are the requirements?

The conveyance of property in Allen County is common and often referred to as "metes and bounds" development. Although there is not an official approval or sign-off procedure for the conveyance of property from the Department of Planning Services, the property being split needs to meet all Zoning Ordinance standards. DPS staff can be contacted with any specific questions, but the following general rules apply:

  • For properties to be served by private septic systems, the parcel must be a minimum of two acres in size.
  • Parcels without the required amount of street frontage on a right-of-way must be served by a county-approved roadway easement. Please see question 3 regarding roadway easements.
  • One parcel can be conveyed by deed from a larger parcel every 12 months (under 20 acres in size). Parcels 20 acres in size or larger (with necessary road frontage) do not need to meet the one sell-off per 12-month requirement.

If numerous sell-offs are projected, we encourage you to contact DPS staff to discuss any future plans.

Show All Answers

1. I want to get information about a property before I make an offer. Where should I go and what information might I request?
2. I want to divide my property. What are the requirements?
3. I am planning on buying or selling a property which is landlocked. What are the rules regarding roadway (access) easements?
4. I purchased land and need an address. Who assigns addresses and what is the procedure to get one?
5. I want to build a new house in Allen County. What do I need to get a permit? What other departments do I contact?
6. How long does it take to have my Improvement Location Permit issued?
7. How do I get building permits?
8. Can I change my plot plan?
9. What is a Certificate of Compliance and how do I get one? What is a Certificate of Occupancy and how do I get one?
10. I would like to add on to my existing house. Is an ILP required? What do I need to get an ILP?
11. I would like to know the requirements for above ground or inground pools. Do I need an ILP? Is a fence required?
12. I would like to put a fence up. Where can I put it? Do I need an ILP?
13. I think my neighbor is violating the Allen County Zoning Ordinance. Who do I call if my neighbor is operating a business, has junk cars, or is dumping outside?
14. Can I build a residential accessory building like a garage or pole building on a vacant property for storage of non-agricultural belongings?