I would like to put a fence up. Where can I put it? Do I need an ILP?

For houses that are not at an intersection or a corner lot in a subdivision, you can construct up to an 8-foot tall fence behind and to the side of your house, and a 2 ½ foot tall fence in front of your house. The sight visibility at the corner will be taken into consideration. Always check your subdivision covenants to see if you are allowed to construct a fence.

If you are unsure whether you need an ILP, please contact DPS staff.

Show All Answers

1. I want to get information about a property before I make an offer. Where should I go and what information might I request?
2. I want to divide my property. What are the requirements?
3. I am planning on buying or selling a property which is landlocked. What are the rules regarding roadway (access) easements?
4. I purchased land and need an address. Who assigns addresses and what is the procedure to get one?
5. I want to build a new house in Allen County. What do I need to get a permit? What other departments do I contact?
6. How long does it take to have my Improvement Location Permit issued?
7. How do I get building permits?
8. Can I change my plot plan?
9. What is a Certificate of Compliance and how do I get one? What is a Certificate of Occupancy and how do I get one?
10. I would like to add on to my existing house. Is an ILP required? What do I need to get an ILP?
11. I would like to know the requirements for above ground or inground pools. Do I need an ILP? Is a fence required?
12. I would like to put a fence up. Where can I put it? Do I need an ILP?
13. I think my neighbor is violating the Allen County Zoning Ordinance. Who do I call if my neighbor is operating a business, has junk cars, or is dumping outside?
14. Can I build a residential accessory building like a garage or pole building on a vacant property for storage of non-agricultural belongings?